Re: Borelli ID

That's intresting I've always found the common "old" blue varietys to
have red in the cheeks. I find wild males with lots of red in the
cheeks. The yellow variety which can be found in an article in TFH by
H.J.Richter is the one i'm referring too. It has a yellow head down to
about 1/3 the anterior of the fish and yellow caudel and partialy
yellow dorsal, caudel, anal, and pectoral fins. My fish are also very
hi-finned and have red in the cheeks. The color is quite striking.
This is the fish which I reffered to. Basicly I've always thought
there were two color varieties, of A.borelii, blue and yellow. Perhaps
you can furnish a picture of the fish you mention and this could help
shed some light on the matter. Personaly I have found many wild male
borelii's of the blue variety with lots of red in the cheeks.

Dave

---Jota Melgar <jsmelgar@compuserve.com> wrote:

> >I've been breeding the "opal" or yellow variety of A.borelii for many
> >years now because its one of my favorites.
>
> Excuse me but before we confuse everyone in the list, the yellow
variety is
> the common old A. borelli. A. borelli "Opal" is a shinny blue
variety with
> red markings on the cheeks. This last feature might vary, some
having a lot
> of red and some very little.
>
> Still, $60.00 for either one seems a bit steep, especially if you
are not
> certain to have a pair.
>
> Julio

Archives"!