Re: A. afanini?

At 01:27 PM 2/12/99 +0100, you wrote:
>"EXT AVS; \"Fredrik Nilsson A (QDT)\"" wrote:
>> Does the name afanini make sense to anyone?
>> Could it simply be a misspelling (A. sp. aff. something?)
>I think it's just affinis going through a bad time. I've seen lists from
>exporters just saying A. affinis or Pelv. affinis and you have to figure
>out for yourself what species it's like.  afanini = affinis = my guess

That's pretty close, Fredrick.  I have been meaning to write something
about this for some time, so here is it.   If I collect a fish and I think to
myself "boy, this sure looks a lot like P. pulcher, but I am nearly certain
it is not pulcher, but a close relative", a good name choice is

 P. species affinis pulcher  or   P. sp. affinis pulcher  or  P. sp. aff.
plucher

meaning a species of Pelvicachromis closely related to pulcher.  Note
that these names are nonsense:

    P.  affinis  or  P. aff.

P. sp.  means some Pelvicachromis, but I dunno which.   P. spp.  means
a bunch of P. species (plural).

Hope this helps.  If I have slipped up I hope a real taxonomist will set this
straight.    Dave

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco            mailto:gomberg@wcf.com
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron