Re: pH meter

Personaly I have not used the more commonly Available American Marine
but I have used a pH and Conductivity meter in my fish room for years.
Personaly I find them Indispensable. The price of a pH meter is paid
back in peace of mind and confidence when your acclimating fish,
mixing up water, breeding, and just want to know how diffrent
variables are interacting.

I would make a few reccomendations on a meter. Make sure it comes with
a replaceable electrode. I reccomend that the electrode have a BNC
connector or another widely available standard so that you can get a
replacement easily. Also go with the cheaper epoxy electrodes there
made for wear and tear. My first electrode was a glass probe with
refillable liguid electrolytes, very expensive! So you can imagine how
upset i was when i cracked it, as homer simpson would say Doop! You
give up some accurecy but its neglagable for our purposes. Also dont
go with those pH pens or checkers, I have had friends at my local club
tell me they go bad after a few months. Coincidently a good friend of
mine who also breeds Apisto's has one of the American Marine pH meters
and he has had his for over a year now and its still working and it
has the BNC connection for the probe etc. and I beleive he only payed
around $90 for his. The key to a good meter is calibrating it so you
get good accurate readings every time.Good luck

David Sanchez

---alex pastor <alexp@idirect.com> wrote:

> I need some feedback.  Does anyone have any experience and/or
opinions on
> the American Marine Pinpoint Ph meter?  It's LOT more expensive than
using
> bromthymol blue, but I was wondering if the supposed increased
accuracy is
> factual.  I don't have a million tanks, but going from tank to tank
with the
> test tube and the drops is a drag.
>
> g. kadar

Archives"!