Re: Automated X10 lighting control deals & ideas

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, William Vannerson wrote:

> Did you consider X10 outlets?  They're a bit pricier but you also get
> and extra non-X10 outlet per module.  Also, the outlets are
> automatically excluded from "All On" commands.

I considered this, but the appliance modules are also excluded from All
Lights On, cost less, and can be moved around (or replaced if they burn
out!) as needed. :)

> I was thinking of "F" fpr fishroom. <s> When you say "heater
> setbacks," I assume you're referring to you home furnace.  Correct?

Yes, you can plug in a small 7 watt night light into a module, and stick
the light right underneath the thermostat.  Bulb heats up, thermostat
thinks it's warmer than it really is, furnace is shut off!

> >>We keep a bunch of hand controllers all over the house that work on
> "A", ..<<

These are the "4 unit" controllers that plug in the wall, not the wireless
remotes.  The wireless ones are not very reliable, IMHO, and we find
several well-placed plug-in remotes do the job well.

> How many bulbs does each module control?  I know that multiple modules
> can have the same address (i.e., B1), but do have each ballest on it's
> own module?

The appliance modules are rated something like 500 watts per module, so
you could put quite a lot on a single module.  And yes, you can have many
modules with the same code so they all come on at once. I just find that
at less than $10 per module (I think www.smarthome.com had them as low as
$6), I could put each ballast on a different one and have the room come up
gradually.

By the way, I use the CM11 controller; a little plug-in "brick" that
connects to the computer via a serial port and is fairly cheap.  I think
that's what's included in the Home Director kit.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com