Re: A. sp Erdfesser

Mayalauren@aol.com wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Can anyone give me some info on this fish...all I know is that this is the
> fish pictured as A. pulchra in the Bork & Mayland book. Does the text also
> refer to this fish (i believe so???)
> Thanks,
> Jason

Jason,
this fish was first mentioned by Kullander in the scientific description
of A. hippolytae (published in DKG-Journal). About three or four years
ago, I have sent him some fish from Rio Ipixuna (Rio Purus drainage)
westward from Humaitá that he identified as so.
More recently, in a paper named "Apistogramma aus Porto Velho"
(published in DATZ), Stawikowski published a picture from this species,
remarked Bork & Mayland mistake, and said it came from "Porto Velho"
(obviously a mistake, this is the export city of the fish, not the
locality where it was collected!).
I've collected it along Rio Ipixuna and its tributaries, in the "praias"
(sandy shores) sympatric with A. agassizii and A. resticulosa. Both
agassizii and resticulosa are also found in the Madeira-drainage, closer
to Humaitá; but as far as I'm concerned, A. sp. Erdfresser is found in
Purus-drainage only.
It seems to be a A. pertensis-group fish, although lyre-tailed. Not
difficult to breed, it is NOT from blackwater. Sometimes shy in
aquarium, like other A. pertensis-group fishes.
Cheers.