Re: brooding female?

Sounds like you better get the bbs started! You can always tell a
female Apisto has eggs when 1) her coloration changes to bright
Yellow[In fact a day or so before she will begin to take on a tinge of
yellow as she becomes more gravid] 2)Her behavior. She will be
constantly gaurding a cave and spending most of her time fanning the
eggs. 3) her behavior tword that male will change drasticly. Where
before she was chased by his advances and bowed to him, she now is
pushing him away. Some times there is some communication between them
that lets him know she's part of his harem other times its out right
aggresion towards her former mate.
Lastly if you cant resist you can just pick up the cave and have a
look see, i use to do this alot (still do sometimes gotta know for
sure) when i first started out and never had female abandon eggs or
fry. Hope this helps.

---ruddigar@home.com wrote:

> My pair of A. cacatoides are at again, I think.  About two weeks ago,
> I put into the tank an overturned ceramic flower pot with the drain
hole
> enlarged.  I have never seen the male or any of the bristle nose (yes
> they're still in there with the apistos) go anywhere near the
opening of
> the cave, but the female lives in it.
>   Whenever she comes out she has the dark black fins and is a nice
> yellow color (although, she still has some dark markings on her
flanks -
> I don't think they were there last time they spawned).
>   She isn't overly aggressive, but she does "dance" in front of the
male
> quite often (whenever she is out and they are near each other).  I
> haven't seen her chase any of the plecos away.  When I peeked
inside, I
> couldn't see any signs of fry.  I doubt I could see eggs if they
were in
> there because I can barely see the bottom, let alone the sides of the
> pot.
>   Anyway, does this sound like there could be something nice in store
> for me.  She occasionally checks out other caves, maybe someplace to
> move the fry to?  The tank is essentially bare bottomed - just a bit
of
> gravel under the rock caves so they don't slide around on the glass.
>
>   Any incite into her behavior would be great.  Thanks,
>
> Jason Miller
> Sherwood Park, AB
> (780) 464-9635

Archives"!