Re: rio malome

Vern Wensley wrote:

> Hi Mike.
> I looked in the books I have and this is what I came up with.In the Aqualog
> page 33 picture s03505-3 is as close as I can get,but take the red off of
> the picture below and put it on the picture above and you will be really
> close to the fish I have.

You are describing a eunotus-complex species. A. eunotus is kind of variable in
over all color. They run from pink (Rio Shahuaya) to blue flanks (northern
streams). Caudal fins can be colorless to bright orange, some weakly spotted and
some not spotted at all. The Aqualog photos show fish with an apparently narrow
lateral band and very irregular caudal peduncle spot, commonly seen on A.
eunotus. There are several closely related but undescribed species. Probably the
best way to separate A. eunotus from them is to look for a split in Bar 6 (next
to last vertical bar, toward the tail). This split appears below the lateral
band. Right now I'd guess that you have A. eunotus.

> When I first got them I thought they were eunotus,but the larger they get I
> am not sure.The male is 2-2.5in. now.They are in spawning colors
> continualy.I think maybe someone that really didnt know what they were just
> slapped a name on them,really frustrating.

Sadly, this still happens too often.