Re: Species information

Fredrik.Ljungberg@saab.se wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Yesterday I came across a list of species that a LFS could get
> for me, provided my interest and financial ability of course.
> I'm not really up to date so some of these offered species or
> localities are unknown to me, can anyone assist?
>
> Apistogramma. agassizii Obidos

Óbidos is a town on the left (north) bank of the Amazon River just downstream
from the mouth of the Rio Trombetas. There are so many aggie varieties out there
that I would be afraid to guess what it looks like.

> A. sp. Amapa I

Is a species first introduced in the hobby by Koslowski (1994. Ostamazonische
Apistogramma. DATZ 47(12): 781-788). A. sp. Amapá I looks much like A. gossei but
has dark "smudges or streaks" on the edges of the scales below the lateral band.
These are not seen on A. gossei. Instead, A. gossei has prominent abdominal
stripes. It is found in several rivers in the northeastern Brazilian State of
Amapá (Rios Araguarí, Calçoene, and Cunaní). I believe this is the same species
that came into the US hobby back in the 60s & early 70s as the Copper
Apistogramma, but I'm not positive.

> and II

This is a species collected out of Brazilian streams around Macapá in the delta
of the Amazon River. It looks very much like A. gossei & possibly is the same
species.

> A. trifasciata Rio Guapore

This is A. trifasciata from the headwaters of the Rio Guaporé. These fish
probably have tails with fine rows of spots. It is not A. maciliensis.

> Pelvicachromis sp. aff. humilis Dikiya and Kolente

Sorry, I don't know anything about these.

> P. roloffi Forecariah

Forecariah is a town in southwest Guinea, near the border with Sierra Leone. It's
probably similar to the fish being sold as Pv. roloffi (Guinea), but I'm not
positive. If it is, they are pretty little fish, especially the females.

> A. payaminonis was also on the list but I'm unsure whether it
> is that species or not. Has anyone seen the real payaminonis
> anywhere, for sale or otherwise, just to confirm that it may
> be available.

Dr. Wolfgang Staeck collected A. payaminonis in 1996 from the type locality (Rio
Payamino) and in the upper drainage of the Rio Aguarico along the
Equador/Colombia border. He successfully brought back several live specimens, but
have not read or heard of anyone breeding it. It isn't as spectacularly colorful
as other nijsseni-complex species. I have never heard of it being commercially
available. In the past A. atahualpa was sold as A. payaminonis or A. cf.
payaminonis.

Mike Wise