Re: South American Dwarf Cichlids book

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Derek Wingert wrote:

> I was recently surfing around for some of the better Dwarf Cichlid books
> when I came across this at Amazon.com.  Here is a direct link to the book
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3931702294/qid=923591668/sr=1-8/002-7110829-0384467
>
> It's called simply "South American Dwarf Cichlids"... by Bork and Mayland. Published:
> Verlag A.C.S. It's nearly $60. It's an AQUALOG book, but I have not seen mention
> of this one. Is THIS the infamous "American Cichlids 1: Dwarf Cichlids?"

Nope, this is the infamous "Mayland and Bork Book" published last year, of
the controversial photography that looks unlike any other book (there's a
couple threads on the Krib about it, including some outtake photos from
Bork that made their way via a list member).

> Also, I found one called "South American Cichlids II". This seems to be all about
> Dwarf Cichlids. This led me to my ultimate questions.

This sounds like the Aqualog.

> 1.) Which of the three (South American Cichlids II, South American Dwarf Cichlids,
> and American Cichlids I, Dwarf Cichlids [Linke, Staeke] ) is considered to be the best?

Linke & Staek is an older book, but is highly regarded here.
The aqualog has tons of pictures, but is more of an aquarium atlas than
anything else.
Mayland & Bork is very new, the photos are unusual, and it has some newer
species.

They are all worth owning. You should buy all three. :)

> 2.) Where in the world can I find the translated version of American
> Cichlids I??? I found a book in That Fish Place under Tetra Press by
> "Linke and Staeke" labeled simply" Dwarf Cichlids.... is that it?

Yes, that's it.  Should be between $15 and $20 mailorder.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com