Fat Lips; Levamisol...Again

Doug Brown <> wrote: <<<<Fat Lips
My new sp. "Rotpunkt" male has really swollen lips and is starting to not
eat as much. I remember hearing about this but can't seem to find any
information on how to treat it. Help!>>>>>>

If you are sure that the lack of appetite is related to an infection
of the lips, probably clean water and a tablespoon of salt each
10 gallons will take care of it. It is not a common problem, though.
Most often poor appetite is due to internal parasites.

 "David Shim" <David_Shim@MCKINSEY.COM>
wrote : Subject: Re: Levamisol...Again (...)
I'm considering dosing my planted tank.  What is metronidazole's effect on
the bio filter and on plants?  Any plant species particularly sensitive?
Also, do you know of any medication more effective at irradicating
flagellate parasites?  Thanks.>>>>

In the great majority of cases, metronidazole is OK on the biofilter.
Very rarely some people reported problems, but chances are
the true cause might have been different.
Metro is also perfectly OK on plants. I would treat the whole tank
since other apparently healthy fishes may have already been infected.
Epsom salts is reportedly effective on mild flagellate infestations.

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.