sand vs gravel

Hi  to everyone

Most of my breeding tanks I use fine gravel. Do have two tanks with very fine
sand. One tanks I have .A. panduro and A ortmanni in (grow out tank)

My other tank is a 10 gal with fine sand. The plants grow great with the sand.
I`m breed A.cacatuoides triple reds

The triple reds keep dieding in this tank.  I checked the water, that fine. They
do breed in this tank
Already lost 3 pair`s.  Plus lot of fry`s

I did buy the sand from a LFS

The do notice that the cacatuoides is always chewing on the sand and the sand is
coming out of his gills

Should I switch back to fine gravel and see what happen???

Thanks

George