Re: A.atahualpa 'sunset' & Laetacara sp.?

David,

I just pulled about 10 fry from my pair. These guys are truely
beautiful in brood color, but have been a real challenge. I have had
them spawn many times but, no survivors. I had them in a 20 long for
a while with spawning being a regular activity but no fry. I
attribute this to tank size mostly. When placed in a 70 I have seen
fry but after many past losses, today I deceided to pull some and see
if I can raise them myself. The tank is straight RO water filtered
over Eheim peat in a canister. The temp is 27-28c, the bottom is
completely covered with hygrophila difformis and pygmy chain sword
which is not doing as well as before using peat, and lots and lots of
that root wood . I do not have a ph meter and the reagent tests  I
have stop a PH of 5. With no buffer in the water I would guess it to
be at a PH of 4 or so. The only tankmates that did not have to be
rescued from this very territoral couple are a pair of A. nijessini
and a pair of what would seem to be gay P. scalare. I have recently
been pondering the behavioral effects if any of having too many
plants with not enough open space in between them. If all you catch
in the wild is juveniles in the thick plants, would it not stand to
reason that the adult fish  would be utilizing deeper water and
structure to hide and spawn. My fry and juvenile fish tend to hang
out in the thicker vegetation while the adults are always on the
bottom around structure. Just a thought. Good luck, they really are
worth the effort.

Tim

>From: David Sanchez <barbax2@yahoo.com>
>To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
>Subject: A.atahualpa 'sunset' & Laetacara sp.?
>Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 21:38:22 -0700 (PDT)
>

>I have just brought back some realy intresting little
>fellows. They are a Laetacara sp. of sorts. I need
>some help in Identifing them. They are very high
>backed. They have a pronounced lateral spot with four
>transversal bars after the lateral spot. They have
>some bright turqouise stripes directly below the
>lateral spot and lateral line. The most pronounced
>feature is a very distinct marking on the operculem
>directly behind the eye. It is a dark black horizontel
>y shaped line with bright blue spots. The overall
>color is a light yellow with lots of yellow in the
>fins as well. (See crude illustration for a
>description of the marking, the @ is the eye.)
> [ @>--- ]
>I have searched all my resources to no avail. Anyone
>have any Ideas?
>
>I also picked some A.atahualpa 'sunset' I never really
>thought much about them but they are very attractive.
>Can anyone one share their experiences with them?
>===
>
>David Sanchez
>Casselberry, FL
>http://www.mindspring.com/~barbax