Re: Feeding schedule (was:Earthworm flakes / Flakes for Dwarfs)

Kym writes:

> this brings up another question i have:   How often do you all feed yoru
>  fish?  I know fry need a lot more feedings than adults, but what is normal?
>  I don't feed my 3 tanks of kribs, convicts, jack dempseys, and misc. other
>  fish every day.  Is it better to have a schedule or not?

It is very important for the fishes' health that they eat regularly.  While
they will seem to do okay without feedings on a regular basis, and even
survive for ten or twelve days in a shipping bag, they do not store reserves
as fat in the same way mammels do.  They will begin consuming their muscle
mass, reducing their strength and vitality.  They can recover easily enough,
but only if they are well-fed.  Fish have the same kind of daily bio-clock
that we have.  In the wild they eat small amounts all day, but in a tank,
they are dependent on you to care for them.

Bob Dixon