Re: Re viejita

I don't know about other breeders but I croos the wild
stuff into my line about every other generation. I
have a 'domestic' line and a 'wild' line going. I have
not seen any breeding problems in my fish but I do
alot of backcrossing to the wild form to keep the
vitality. I agree with you in many ways but at the
same time I think it is important that we do make
progress and develope the more colorful varieties as
to not fall behind the rest of the world. I have a
friend of mine Kent, who is on this list, That has a
very nice strain of A.enoutus that he is working with
that have very nice red caudel fins. I beleive we need
to further such work. It will only help us in the long
run as they become more appealing to the rest of the
aquarium trade and help promote Apisto's even more. If
done correctly with the proper handle on genetics we
can have some great color varieties 'fixed' and even
develope and improve some new ones. The German fish I
have dealt with all raise their fry and I have not
noticed any deformed fry. Honestly I have thought like
you for in regards to tank raised strains but the
German fish i have dealt with are of excellent
quality. Again my preference is for the wild forms but
I have seen the kind of fish the Germans have and I
can say they are excellent and I think we should all
follow the example. Indeed many of us are and I surely
am. I know for example Steve Rybecky of Angels Plus
has built himself a very good reputation with his
Angels by crossing his domestic strains with the wild
stuff to keep his lines strong. I for one have been
breeding the wild varieties of Apisto's for the most
part and every outstanding fish I find from a shipment
I cross into my lines. This kind of work will help us
'fix' certain things we like in our fish and improve
on what we have. I beleive we have to have a balance
between the two though and as long as we back cross we
will have healthy strains. I want to preserve the wild
stuff and for the most part improve on what we have.
Good luck with the rams, My wild ones are better
looking then any 'German' ram I have ever seen. The
good quality of the german ram is that they hold their
color better under adverse condition, like in a
wholesalers tank. I am working with two strains there
as well a wild strain and a 'German'x'wild' strain
that I am looking to improve. Good luck with the Rams
Vern.

-
===
David Sanchez