Re: new-breeding info

Stan Jamrog wrote:

> Hi all!  I am new to this list and am interested in breeding dwarf
> cichlids (hope I sent this to the right place)
> First here are my water parameters:  ph of 6.8, and gh of 50-80 ppm
> Here are the fish I would like breeding info on:
> Laetacara Buckelkopf (F1):
>    I have two pair of these in 10 gallon tanks with sponge filters:
> What temp range is good for breeding?  How can I definitively tell male
> from female?  Any info appreciated.

A 10 gallon tank is kind of small for a dwarf acara. L. sp. Buckelkopf can have
500 eggs in a spawn! I've bred this species in a 20L in similar water conditions,
but I'd drop the pH to below 6.5 @ ~80ºF (27ºC). Young males & females look very
much alike, but after a year or so the males will be larger and not look as
"plump". Males will also have long posterior dorsal fin extensions.

> Laetacara Thayeri (F0):  I have five of these fish in a 29.  I know
> absolutely nothing about these fish, would like any info, esp: breeding

5 in a 29 is probably OK when they are small, but this fish can get to almost 6"
in an aquarium. I've never bred this fish, but have bred L. flavilabris, the ugly
sister of L. thayeri. These fish show a preference for vertical surfaces to breed
on, like angels and severums. My L. flavilabris usually spawned on an old plastic
Amazon Sword Plant. Water needed to be pH < 5.5 with virtually no hardness @
~80ºF (27ºC) before showing any interest in spawning.

> Dicrossus Maculatas (F0):  I have a trio of these in a heavily planted
> 20 long.  I would dearly love to breed them.  Any ideas?  How about
> ideal temp range for breeding?

Tank size is fine. Drop the pH<5.5 and reduce your hardness by half and you
should do fine. Same temperature as above should be OK. Offer caves & hidden
vertical surfaces. Different fish prefer different spawning sites.

Good luck with your fish

Mike Wise