Substrate/chemistry issues

On Mon, 17 May 1999 20:30:27 EDT, IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> Subject: Substrate/chemistry issues
>
> After searching long and hard for some kind of black, or even dark brown
> sand, I settled for some epoxy-coated black lizard sand.

is this what you're referring to? i'd thought to try it...

http://www.wholesalepetsupply.com/worldwidepet/ww10261.html

> My second thoght is that recreational gold "prospectors" separate the gold
> from a substance called "black sand".  Seeing as gold is generally veined in
> quartz, it seems that this black sand is likely to be volcanic, and should
> also be inert.  Some of these guys bring it home by the bucketful and
> separate the gold on a "riffle tube", or even better, they use an acid to
> dissolve the gold, and then reclaim the gold from the slurry.  If I can find
> someone to provide me with their black sand when they are done, is it likely
> to be free of metallic contaminates?
>
> Bob Dixon

to the best of my knowledge, "black sand" (in the prospecting context) refers to
a form of iron oxide. heavier than most composite minerals, so it hangs at the
bottom of the pan where the good stuff is...

many "black sand" seperators work on magnets - supposedly swirl the magnet thru
the chaff and remove the sand. nice idea, but...

i don't know how reactive this stuff would be in an aquarium - remember that it
comes from constantly rejuvenated aquatic environment.  also, this stuff is
usually _very_ fine... maybe 0.1 mm for a big particle. may adversely affect the
operation of your filter. and the fishes health?