Re: Apistogramma ortmanni

Derek,

The true A. ortmanni looks very much like A. regani, except the caudal peduncle
spot is not as long. A. ortmanni isn't that common in the hobby so little hobby
information is written on it. Your pH should be OK as long as the water if very
soft. This species is found in coastal streams of Guyana and Surinam. In the
(distant) past A. steindachneri was always the fish that came in as A. ortmanni.
If your fish show a largish spot on the flanks then this is probably what they
are.

Mike Wise