Re:

Cory,

Sounds like you are right. It probably is a fungus of some
sort, living off of excessive organics in your tank. Both
the fungus and the response of your fish indicate that the
water conditions are not up to par. This isn't unusual in a
fry rearing tank. I'd check the water conditions. If the pH
is dropping and the TDS (µS) are increasing, it's time to do
many more frequent partial water changes/tank cleanings.

Mike Wise