Re: fin rot

I would tend to agree with Michael on this - check your tap water.  Three
years ago in my fish house I had a similar problem with one species only,
Satanoperca pappaterra.  After a water change the dorsal fin would be left
with only the spines.  The local authority was obviously adding something
'extra' into the water system.  I bought a  'Purity on Tap MM80' unit which
removes all the nasties from the tap water.  Since the day this unit was
installed the Pappaterra never had this recurring problem.
Helen

Barry wrote:

>>Any thoughts regarding cause and cure of this persistent annoyance?  It
>looks like fin rot to me, although there is no white stuff on them
anywhere.
>The caudal fin is gone right down to the nub.  In other cases, strong
>healthy fish have just slowly wasted away (get thin, lose their fins and
lie
>around on the bottom or on a plant).  Please, someone help me.  I'd really
>like to keep fish, not kill them, if you know what I mean.

Michael Grey wrote:     >>Your water
probably is treated with chloramine, a heavy form of ammonium and chlorine,
and your current water treatment may not be neutralizing the chloramine.
Check ammonia levels in your tap and tank.  <<