Re: Panduro

Hello Daryl
Well how to start.   I've kept and spawned Panduro's for about the past
3 years now, back when they were sp Pandurini ( still like that name
better).   I also keep Nijsenni.   As you have mentioned they are
similar looking and I have found them to be similar in spawning
requirements.   I've read where you had to keep Nijsenni in very acid
water (pH of 5.5) to get them to spawn.  I guess I was lucky because
both species have spawned and raised fry in water with a pH of 6.8 or
closer to 7.0.    My tap water varies ever so slightly depending on
season and weather activities of the recent past.    It also has a
hardness of 60ppm.   On the soft but not extremely soft range.    I
mainly used bare bottom 10 gallon tanks with 2 flower pots in the tank
as a spawning tank.   I also use Hydro Sponge filters in my tanks.   For
some reason with out the current of the power filters I used to use, the
fish seem more comfortable.
Anyways, I condition my fish with baby brine shrimp everyday, tetra bits
( now called color bits, sorry but old habits are hard to change) I also
use frozen blood worms and mosquito larvae (frozen, don't like having
the live things start flying around in the house, but live ones are
better foods) used to feed live black worms but don't use them anymore.
Either way a good varied diet with live once a day and prepared foods
once a day kept my fish in great spawning condition.   I have found that
both species do better in pairs then trios or groups.  Have had a few
non dominant females end up dead or darn near to it.   Not much else I
could think of, oh temperature in my tanks for these guys were right
around 78 - 80F.   Other then that, can't think of anything else.   Hope
this helps.   Both species were/are good parents.

John Wubbolt