Test kits Question

Vern said, (In an earlier thread)
If you look at some hydroponics stores you might be able to get one that
reads conductivity
also.Monitors are fairly expensive,but when you need to know the exact ph
they cant be beat.

Someone please enlighten me. I know that conductivity is, Its the
measurement of waters ability to conduct electricity this will go up and
down as salts (of about any type) is added or subtracted from the water. So
while I have a basic understanding of what it is, I just need someone to
explain the significance of this parameter, and what the effects on apisto's
are. Also how would one go about manipulating/maintaining it? Thanks in
advance

Erick Jones