From: owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com
[mailto:owner-apisto@admin.listbox.com]On Behalf Of Cory and Susanne
Williamson
Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 5:49 PM
To: apisto@admin.listbox.com
Subject: A. nijsenni breeding revisited

Thanks to all the list members that had previously responded (a few months
back) to my questions about getting nijsenni's to spawn. I have tried
following some suggestions like keeping the pH down with peat (currently
around 4.5) the hardness of the water is very low to start with coming out
of the tap (GH and KH both less the 1 degree german hardness).  I have tried
covering up the front of the tank so that they can't see me and aren't
disturbed. The pair is very healthy, and they show lots of color.  I
alternate feeding  them a mixture of bloodworms and BBS twice a day. The
tank (10 gallon)  contains a tan brown sand as substrate. Plants include
java moss and water sprite and various algae growing on the walls of the
tank. There are two softballs sized chunks of lava rock as well as a small
upturned clay pot that can be used as a cave in the tank. The female used to
spend lots of time in and around the pot, but she doesn't do that anymore.
The temperature is kept at 82 F. I change 25% of the water once a week with
aged water that has a peat moss bag in the storage tank. Nitrates etc. are
not measurable with my test kits. The fish don't seem to fight and sometimes
tail wag at each other, but they still won't spawn- are there any other
tricks that any of you folks use to get problem fish to spawn.  I have
thought of removing the male for a time so that the pair can subsequently
re-aquaint - has anyone tried this. Or perhaps reducing their rations for a
while and then fattening them up again to simulate a famine and then feast
type of situation so as to make them think that it is time to reproduce
while conditions are good. Any thoughts, speculations or ramblings would be
greatly appreciated- my other apistos seem to be able to spawn almost on
command- I just wish that the nijsenni would.

Cheers,

Cory Williamson

Archives"!