Re: Panduro x Nijsenni???

John,

Römer conducted cross breeding experiments with these two species. It was
described in the manuscript for the original description of A. panduro.
Unfortunately, this part was edited out of the published description due to space
restrictions.

Uwe kept groups of both species together in the same tank. In every spawning
observed nijsseni spawned with nijsseni and panduro with panduro. When a panduro
male was placed in a tank with mixed nijsseni & panduro females, only the female
panduros produced fry. When a male nijsseni was exchanged for the male panduro,
only the female nijsseni produced fry. When the males were only given females of
the other species, they usually didn't breed at all. When they did, the spawns
were nearly all infertile. So, you see, these two species can be considered
separate biological species. Compared to other apisto species that do readily
cross breed, they might not even be that closely related.

I know I would be interested to hear if you "pair" decide to breed.

Mike Wise