Re: sexing N. aureocephalus

Steph,

Males are easily distinguished from females once they get some size - about 5cm
(2") SL. They should be sexing out soon. Like most dwarfs they can breed before
they take on their adult form. N. aureocephalus is a fish that tends to breed
only in soft, fairly acid water. Make sure you breed them like A. nijsseni and
you should get results. All of the Nannacara species are "secretive" spawners.
They will usually breed on the underside of a piece of driftwood, a shaded corner
of the tank, or even in a pit near plant roots. They do not need a cave for
spawning, like most apistos. Your females seem to be behaving naturally. If your
water conditions are correct you should get fry in the next few month.

Mike Wise