From: Helen Burns [mailto:helen.burns@bigwig.net]
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 1999 12:07 PM
To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
Subject: Re: Strange creatures

Jerry,
I don't know what those worms are but I once had them in a 6 foot, sand
substrate tank where my maintenance had got behind.  They were white,
thread-like and when they 'swam' it was in a zig-zag fashion.  When I
resumed my regular gravel cleaning and maintenance they disappeared for
good.  I put it down to excess food and lack of gravel cleaning.
I would suggest you gravel clean the substrate thoroughly.
Helen

> While checking one of my dwarf chiclid tanks, I noticed a small white worm
> looking creature near the gravel line. I have never seen anything like
this
> before and am wondering if anyone on the list may know what these worm
like
> things are? They just seem to stay in one place and the fish don't bother
or
> eat them, which I wish they would. I know they are not hydra since they
are
> larger and lack the arms or tentacles. Also, if someone knows them, how
> could I rid the tank of them? It's a 29-gallon High planted with a trio of
> Apistogramma cacatuoides DBL RED. I'd like to know a method to keep from
> taking the tank down both fish and plants are doing quite well.
> Help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Jerry F. Kasey
> kaseyjms@worldnet.att.net