RE: Strange creatures

> Jerry
> I've seen these before and they are planarian.

Another possible culprit are oligochaete worms. I have seen them
on numerous occasions in aquaria. They normally indicate an
abundance of nutrients (excess feeding) when they reach
noticeable numbers.
However, if they should turn out to be planarian flatworms I have
known them to eat fish ova, and I have had problems with their
mucus rendering food unappealing to fish. This has happened in
particular while feeding chopped earthworms. In spite of this being
one of the foods guaranteed to provoke an enthusiatic feeding
response, once a planarian has crawled over it it will be refused by
many cichlids.

Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE