Re: fry eating mcmasteri

Here are some thoughts, John.

You don't mention the composition of the substrate.  I believe it's
important for the female to be able to excavate.  Many female apistos create
little depressions for their babies, and will move the newly hatched fry
from place to place.  If the substrate is too coarse or is(shudder) bare
glass, the female cannot perform her normal parental duties.  This leads
(IMO) to the mother feeling insecure about her ability to deal with her
environment, and thus leads to eaten fry.

Another possibility is the size of opening to the spawning cave.  Again, I
believe that a very tight opening helps the female feel secure in her
abilities to deal with danger.  I've even used caves with openings so small
the male couldn't enter!  Apparently his caudal fin action was sufficient to
fertilize the eggs.

There should be at least two or three such caves or retreats for every
female.  That way, she is free to move the fry from one secure area to
another, if she wishes.

Other possibilities are:

Too much light - apistos like it dark!
Too much activity in or around the tank.
Female may be an unfit mother.

There are many possibilities.

If push comes to shove, you may have to pull the eggs and hatch them
yourself (a very simple matter).  While this is not the optimal situation,
sometimes there is no choice.

Good luck,

Scott