Re: Olga's comments

At 04:21 PM 7/17/99 -0500, James wrote:

>In my post to Roger, I suggest that he may very well have hit upon a
>compromise solution which everyone can live with. If the "Showcase" portion
>of this event is open to all sorts of aquascapes while the "Competition"
>portion is limited to aquatic gardens, then perhaps everyone can feel
>"included", and "welcome", and the AGA need not feel that their principles
>are being violated.
>
>As I said, it may just be the compromise that will solve this issue once and
>for all.
>
>What do you think?

I'm speaking for myself, not AGA right now.  I would _much_ prefer to
divide tanks into "natural" and "artificial" categories (obviously
dependent on the honor system) but keep them all as part of the
competition.  I really don't see a conflict for the AGA in sponsoring an
event that happens to ALSO include opportunities for people with other than
planted tanks.  Maybe those who enter the "artificial" division will look
through the "natural" division, and be inspired to give it a try.

I'd rather NOT exclude any type of entry, but I think the  artificial tanks
will be the ones at a disadvantage if they are not divided, not the other
way around.  This, again, is based on the competition being judged by
aquarists.  All bets are off if the judges don't know what is reasonable in
an aquarium meant to sustain living organisms.

Karen