Re: K and L discussion

At 10:19 AM 7/22/99 -0700, Olga wrote:
>>K. Judging Guidelines
>
>This is a toughy. I'll take a first-round stab at it [this means these are
>"ideas" not what I insist on].
>
>1. Overall impression (1-10 pts.)

I'd give this more weight.  We're looking for those "WOW" tanks.  Maybe
allow up to 20 points for this one.

>2. Condition (1-10 pts.) - [appearance of water, health of living things etc.]

I'd down grade this to the "animal" level, (1-5 pts) because I don't think
we can judge it effectively.  The worse the quality of the photos, the
harder this will be to judge.  Since we can't judge it evenly, I think it
needs to carry less weight, although I still think it needs to be
addressed.  The score for condition will, to some extent spill over into
other sections, because it is unlikely that a tank absolutely coated with
beard algae is going to get high marks in "wow" appeal.<g>

>3. Ratios (1-10 pts.) [balance of clear space to occupied space]

I'd call this "balance" or "composition" rather than ratios.  The idea of
"ratios" to me indicates that there are specific, pre-set desirable ratios,
like Amano's triangles, or the Dutch golden section.  I think we want to
encourage innovation.

>4. Colour balance (1-10 pts.) [not too much red.. green... black etc.]

I'd change this category to "Use of color"  That single Java Fern on the
rocks might be very striking, but there aren't many colors involved.

>5. Decorations (1-10 pts.) [wood, rock, plants etc.]

I think I'd down-grade the percentage that this adds to the entire score,
and put it in the 1-5 category.  We want the symphony to win, not just the
cellist and trombone players.

>6. Animals (1-5 pts) [attractiveness and appropriatness of fish]

Another category that might be added is difficulty.  If someone has
accomplished an outstanding desin with very difficult plants, it might
deserve a few extra points for that too.

>Also animals I'm not sure about. Should they be a part of judging?

As far as I'm concerned, yes, although I agree with you that they should
carry less weight than other areas of judging.  The fish, if used should be
a complimentary part of the design, not just whatever happened to be thrown
in.  This will, in part, have to be judged by the tank descriptions, rather
than the photos, since unless high speed film or digital cameras are used,
the fish tend to "go away".  Also, it is very tough to get a good idea of
the community in the tank based on a single or even several still photos.

>>L. Privacy

>My ideas: Number of entries published for each category judged. Winner's
>points published. [Don't see why winners would mind this... obviously they
>would have high marks.] If we have honorable mentions they could or could
>not have points published... but for all those who do not make the cut...
>no points or remarks published but, if requested the contestant can obtain
>them. Too much work? Would this be good? I think this could work.

This sounds good, although I think that if any of the judges would like to
point out any features of an "allso ran" tank that they found particularly
appealing, these comments could be helpful to everyone, and a nice pat on
the back for the owner of the tank as well.  But this should just be
optional on the part of the judges and the person doing web site/CD
preparation.

>This to be published in TAG and on the Web... those who are not AGA members
>or on the Web can "buy" the copy of TAG with the results in it and request
>by mail their marks if they so wish. I suspect there would be few of these
>mail requests for marks.

Unless we receive very few entries, we will _not_ be able to publish the
whole contest in TAG.  For that matter, if the winning tank is not
represented by a good quality photo, it may not make sense to even print
that.  I don't think there would be any problem publishing the list of
winners, but we won't be able to run all the photos.  Color printing is
_very_ expensive.

While we're adding little check off boxes to that entry form, I'd have
people check off whether for $X U.S. (check payable to ______) they would
like to receive a CD of all entries.  Even those without a computer of
their own, could probably pop down to the local library and look at it on
one of their machines.

Karen