Re: Publicity

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, James Purchase wrote:

> Is this the one that Neil Frank is going to be either speaking at or
> judging? I've heard about that show too many times......

Yes, the same.  I think this is a good case in point to take heed of.  It
sounds like an absolutely great show; several of my friends are going
and/or speaking.  I'll be there too, because of this.  But I seriously
considered not going and not providing a link to their site, just because
of their annoying publicity campaign. In an era where everyone's got a
browser, it's very uncouth to e-mail a giant PDF of the brochure, for
instance.  And to send multiple mails updating the speaker list to people
who never requested the first mailing is awfully rude too.

So, I like the ideas proposed here: a clear website with all the info we
need... single URL which we can refer everyone to.  E-mails summarizing
what it's about and directing them to the URL.

> I like the idea of working through/with local hobbyist groups and getting
> them involved - with the time frame I mentioned earlier I think that we have
> sufficient lead time to allow people to set something up specifically to
> enter this event. Now we need a body to actually put together a list of
> clubs - any takers? (See - I'm back to looking for volunteers again.....)

Right.  Like the "prize coordinater" I proposed a few days ago, this is
not a difficult job, just a potentially tedious one.  Pull the lists
of clubs from Fish Link Central, the FAQ, maybe FAAS... and just call,
e-mail or send them a brochure & cover letter.

> Here in Canada, on cable TV, there is a syndicated show called (I think)
> "Pet Connection". I think that it's either on the Life channel or on
> Discovery. Does anyone know if the same thing (or something similar) is
> available in the US? That could be another place to get free publicity.

There's Animal Network, a cable channel.  I don't get it. :)