Re: Judge's Gifts

From: James Purchase
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 1:11 PM

> Now, one avenue which WOULD (could???) work would
> be to raise the projected income of the event. To do so,
> we have several options...
>
> 1. Increase the entry fee. - I don't like this idea...... $5.00
> is enough...

> 3. Forget all about offering AGA members a free ride...

> This would aslo, in my view, tend to rule out any worries
> about our running a deficit. I'm more than confident that
> we can get 300 entries with a $5.00 fee...

I can find no fault with this approach, at least not from my point of view.

Despite previous arguments over the "nominal" aspects of an entry fee,
especially from possible entrants outside of those internet-capable or from
"less affluent" areas, $5 isn't really all that much. Those with AGA
memberships are likely to view this (or can be "convinced" to) as a minor
triviality along the lines of the cost of a single plant within their
systems. I'm sure that there's many who've paid more for an airport
cheeseburger along the way without blinking (I have, but I did object to the
small size of it). And we are developing a prize structure that not only
promotes the prestige but, in some cases, the utility.

Perhaps we shift one of the AGA perks away from the "free entry" aspect
(which could kill our budget) to something along the lines of a "percentage
discount" on the purchased CD (which, if set up, could stand to only affect
our possible surplus)?

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10@mindspring.com