Re: new sections

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, James Purchase wrote:

> I'm wondering how we approach the topic of new sections - such as some of
> the following:

>From a technical standpoint, all I have to do when we have a new section
is to add the updated navbar configuration and new page into our text
database.   Fairly straightforward.

> Prizes - we can't say too much about this now since we don't HAVE any, but
> most contests let potential entrant know what they are competing FOR. Should
> I write a page which lets people know the awards we are planning to give
> out? How will this be integrated into the menu?

Perhaps there could be a top level menu for this called "Information",
which is subdivided into "News", "Prizes", "Judges", "Dates", etc..
I'm leery of getting too many items at each level, because the navbar
starts to look stupid (try compressing your browser to half the screen
width and you'll see what I mean).

> Viewing Showcase Entries - is the display of entries going to take place
> right away or are we going to not display anything until after the closing
> date (which of course hasn't been decided upon)? In other words, will the
> "Showcase" portion of the event be open for viewing right from the
> announcement of the event?

>From a technical standpoint, again, this is a piece of cake to do.

In my opinion, I think we should wait until the close date.  My plan was
to make an INDIVIDUAL's page in the showcase visible to them if they
entered online (and since they did that whole registration thing, I'm
figuring I can shoot them an e-mail automatically when all the photos have
been scanned, check cashed, etc., so they can do one final verify.

> We have never discussed the actual display of submitted entries and how the
> "Showcase" is going to be visually and logically separated from the
> "Contest", both on the site and in viewer's minds. Erik, have you thought
> about this yet?

Haven't gotten to that place yet. :)

Farthest I've gotten is implementing the page that lets the coordinator
divy up all the 4x3 categories amongst the available judges.