Re: PC vs The Truth ?

Robert,

> Ok James, Dan wasnt firemouth, I'm confused, so I will just drop it....but
> how about answering my PLANT question? :)

Hahahahhaha! I would if I could, but I don't know much about the viability
of many tuberous aquatics, so I'll have to pass. Unless I'm mistaken, many
Aponogeton species are "seasonal" in that they require a rest period - but I
don't know if they need anything special for the resting tubers to break
dormancy.

I came across some information a few weeks ago on an Australian web site
that dealt with how the seeds of some aquatics do have specific needs for
them to be able to break dormancy - as I recall, they needed "smoke" (as in
from a fire) for them to germinate and there are companies which produce a
"liquid smoke" which is supposed to do the same thing. Maybe some
Aponogetons come from similar environments (I don't know, that's only a
supposition).

I've been trying to grow a number of Australian aquatics from seeds over the
past few months. Some seeds sprouted almost immediately (well, within 36
hours), others took a week, still others took several weeks, and one has
still not germinated after several months, so there obviously is something I
don't know involved with certain conditions being required to break dormancy
in some species.

James Purchase
Toronto