Re: [AGA Member] compact inter-node growth please...

Aviel,

I prefer to use the color rendition index (CRI) to select lamps.  Ivo's
article is very useful, but it doesn't provide much information on CRI.  Hoa
Nguyen's article at

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/spectra.html

has CRI ratings for some of the bulbs you mention.  CRI runs on a scale up to
100.  The best color rendition is achieved by lamps with high CRI ratings.

I recently bought 4 Phillips F32ADV850 lamps which are very efficient and
appear very bright to my eyes, but have a CRI in the 80's.  After a few weeks
I became so annoyed by the quality of the light that I replaced them with
four F32TL950 lamps, which are much less efficient but produce a better
quality of light.  There is also a Phillips F36TL'D950 that I think is
unavailable in the US but can be found elsewhere.   The TL'D950 is brighter
than the TL950.

Among less expensive T12 lamps I prefer the "C50" lamps.  These are low
efficiency, high-CRI lamps with about 5000K.  All of the major manufacturers
make some version of the same lamp, but under different names: Chroma50, C50
and Colortone, for instance.

I don't know that 10,000K bulbs really trigger algae more than any other
bulb.  I would never use them because they render colors very inaccurately.

In my tanks, long internode spacing is usually a sign that the plant is
shaded.

Roger Miller