Re: [AGA Member] Biotopes

The contest, in all it's years, was never presented as a
Plant Aquascaping Contest but just an Aquascaping Contest.
A few nonplanted tanks are entered each year, as I recall
and I think it's usally the in the biotope category.

With only 7 biotope entries last year, why exclude?

RE the dichotomy, I don't really see the cleavage. I don't
see why the technical issue (is this a biotope; is this an
accurate biotope) precludes the aesthetic issue. It seems
like one more thing to be considered by the judges.

sh

--- Roger Miller <roger@spinn.net> wrote:

> I am interested in hearing what standards ya'll propose
> for biotopes.
>
> Based on past experience, had I my druthers I would
> simply remove biotopes as
> a category in the contest.  It appears to me that they
> need to be judged on a
> basis that is substantially technical ("Is this a
> biotope?") and not
> aesthetic, as is the case in other categories.  Answering
> the technical
> question is not necessarily something that an aquascaping
> judge is qualified
> to do.
>
> If a biotope is to be judged on an aesthetic basis then
> perhaps biotopes
> should be included with the various-sized gardens.  If
> they are to be judged
> on some other basis then they need an entirely different
> set of judging
> guidelines.  Setting up a different set of guidelines
> effectively creates a
> separate contest for biotopes.
>
> I know that the year I judged our decision on the winning
> biotope was
> controversial.  Part of the problem being that the
> winning entry was not a
> planted tank.  I recall that last year's winning biotope
> was once again not a
> planted tank, so I imagine that the results were once
> again controversial.
> I suppose that we could define our way around that little
> controversy by
> insisting that the biotope entries must be planted.  That
> would eliminate
> tanks that represent most of the worlds aquatic biotopes.
>
> Just can't win.
>

> Roger Miller

> message.  Archives of
>  this list can be found at
> http://lists.thekrib.com/aga-member/

=====
Erik Olson annouces AGA 2004 Annual Aquascaping Awards
at the annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org