RE: [AGA-Member] Co2 problems!

Use calcium carbonate (CaCO3) instead of baking soda if you
want to add material for snails to build shells. They need
the calcium.

But note that CaCO3 dissovles very slowly and leaves the
water milky looking unitl it does-- can take a hour or so
up to a day, depending on how much you add.

Check out George and Karla Booth's excellent web site for
amounts of baking sdoe and CaCO3 to use for how much effect
on pH

http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/

Scott H.

--- Adam Michels <amichels@trafficleader.com> wrote:

> I'm familiar with the CO2 chart. Since then I added more
> CO2 to lower
> the pH, so I looked good on the chart. 6-10 ppm doesn't
> cut it, but I
> had to add baking soda to improve my KH, which raised my
> pH.
> People in my town have complained that they've seen
> snails' shells
> deteriorating because the water's so soft. Not that I
> care about the
> snails, dreadful creatures. My water was so soft my fish
> didn't even
> have to swim. They just floated around like astronauts in
> zero gravity!
> The bubbles are another story. I'm running an Eheim
> canister and have
> little surface agitation, so I'm not losing a lot of CO2.
> But I don't
> think the ladder diffuses it as well as other products
> out there. I'm
> still playing around with how much CO2 my plants will
> absorb and still
> maintain normal water conditions (for me pH 6.8, CO2
> 24ppm, KH 5 is
> ideal). I think they need more than 1-2 bubbles per
> second, using the
> ladder. Will a power reactor diffuser require as much CO2
> to do the same
> job or better?
> Thanks Paul
> Adam

Today, September 15 is the last day to enter the AGA Sixth International Aquascaping Contest!

Have registered for the Contest? Uploaded your photos?
Sent in the Photo Release Form?
Entries must be FULLY completed before the deadline lapses on September 15.