Re: mixed species tank

Kathy Olson wrote:

> Gabriella,
>
> Satanoperca in a planted tank, yiks!!!
> I had some beautiful little satanoperca fry I brought back from Brazil,
> but figured if I put them in Erik's planted tank...the marriage would be
> threatened.  So, instead I passed them onto Lee Newman.
>
> Kathy

Kathy,
I had Satanoperca sp (hobby jurupari) spawn in a planted tank a few
years ago, and do no major damage. A little excavation, yes, but they
limited damage to open spaces. I now have a smaller Geophagus ("sp red
shoulder) close to spawning in a heavily planted tank, and not one plant
has been uprooted.
Lee Newman got lucky, I think. he got the overgrown Apistos...
(geophagus/satanoperca are beyond the scope of this list, but they are
such honorable beasts....)
Gary

PS  if anyone's worrying their apisto-mania is unhealthy, leave the
worrying to me. I just went out in a -40+ windchill across 15km of black
ice to get a pair of hippolytae and some iniridae type things. After
all, I hadn't seen them...