Re: Mis-ID in Mayland and Bork?

Ah, Ocean Aquarium!  I just returned from a short (one day) business trip to
SF, and Ocean Aquarium was recommended by Steve Waldron - thanks again,
Steve!

It is so refreshing to go into a fish store that actually specializes in
dwarf cichlids!  When I was there, Justin had the following apistos (that I
can remember):

A. pulcher
A. Nijsenni
A. Agassizii
A. Borellii emerald form
A. cacatuoides double red - the nicest male cacatuoides I've ever seen!
A. viejita II
A. sp. four-stripes
A. gibbiceps
a species (I can't remember the handle from the Aqualog) - in the 'rotpunkt'
group or complex, in which the males guard the fry with as much dedication
as the females, and become even more brightly colored when doing so.  I
didn't know yellow could be so yellow, or black so very black!  I'm still
kicking myself for not bringing this one home!  And this after having kept
'Puerto Narinos' for so long and breeding them so much, I don't care if I
never see another one!

There were other DC's available as well, and probably a few apistos I've
forgotten.  Justin actually apologized to me for not having a better
selection!  He said usually he has more things to offer!

I got away with a nice trio of agassiziis and a pair of four-stripes.  These
last are very iniridae-like.  Two things that all these pertensis-group fish
have in common is a general lack of bright coloration, aside from a little
blue spangling, and fabulous dorsal and ventral fins.  I've learned that you
can't really judge apistos until you get them home and can really see them
'strut their stuff'!

Many of those fish that Justin had were breeding in his well-planted tanks.
In the Viejita tank, for instance, there were fry from newly free-swimming
to about 1" in length.

Seeing Justin's tanks, the way they were set up with so many beautiful
plants and several ages of apistos swimming about, made me think back on
Brian Wolinski's apisto tanks of a decade ago.  Sorry if I keep bringing the
'great one' up, but, to me, Brian was THE apisto-keeper!  And it sounds,
Dan, like your Agassizii tank is a lot along the lines of the 'Wolinski
method'.  Brian would have several broods of young going in a single tank,
along with the parents, at any given time.  There was so much cover in the
form of dense plants, rocks and driftwood, that there was never any
noticeable aggression problem.

There are a couple of problems in your case, though.  A 10-gallon tank just
won't support all that many fish, especially as the fry grow out.  On the
other hand, how do you successfully remove an earlier brood with all the
plant cover for the little fish to scoot into?  Your parent fish will very
possibly 'murder' a few of the earlier batch, but they may not get very many
of them.

I guess if it was me, I'd leave things as-is until the current batch is
three-to-four weeks old, then remove parents and the dithers to another tank
and let the young ones grow out for a while in the 10, although you'll want
to change a lot of water in the mean-time!  If you have 50 or 60 fry in
there, they'll eventually need more spacious quarters!

Scott