Re: Mike Wise writing a book?

Kathy (Ladies first), Tsuh Yang & Vinny, and everyone,

Oh God! Did I stick my foot in my mouth! Tsuh Yang's right, family will always
come first, then apistos, ASG, and then all of you guys on the list (sorry). Yes,
I do have empty tanks, but only 25 - 30 of them and none are over 30 gallons (of
course I don't have any tanks over 30 gallons!). Vinny's right, too, Uwe has a
wife, son, and daughter. Ingo has a wife, daughter, and several dozen students.
Suffering must be a prerequisite for writing a d.c. book!

Once, in the glow of many accolades, I semi-seriously considered writing a book
in installments for the ASG. Sitting back and looking at it dispassionately I
realized that I didn't have the resources to do it properly. Access to newly
discovered species is a major part in writing any book on this subject. I don't
have access to the fish (I'm not rich by any means and dwarf cichlids are next to
impossible to find in Denver unless you come to my ... (Oh No, I won't go
there!)). Unless you are TFH Publications or A.C.S. Glaser, access to reasonable
photos of all the needed species is extremely difficult. Time could be found for
observing and breeding all of the species, but I feel mass breeding each species
only once or twice would become more like work than a hobby. This is something I
don't want to happen! I'm happy observing and breeding obscure,
less-than-commerically-salable (= mostly ugly), apistos that fill my tanks right
now.

My question is why do we need another book?? Right now there are 2 books on West
Africans, 8 books on Neotropicals and 3 on dwarfs in general that are in print
and available right now. (Oh, yes,  I do have a manuscript to one more, but it
certainly isn't mine!) There is also the ASG which is progressing nicely thanks
to the few dedicated people willing to work on its Steering Committee. There's
the Apisto Mailing List, too. Do we really need more books? All I can do is
repeat what the other books say. Is it worth it? I don't think so. Besides, I
don't need all of you picking my book apart for errors & mis-IDs! Oh, and for
those who just have to have my autograph, I hope to see you all at the ACA
Convention in Cleveland in July.

Mike Wise