Re: food mix recipe

 * whole
> small bait fish ( called white bait here in Australia ). I prefer to use
> whole fish, guts and all, because the liver provides all the vitamin D and
> A they need. I am a bit wary that there may be parasites in these fish but
> the freezing process should kill them all ( my freezer has a snap freeze
> button which allows me to crash the temp down to -30deg celcius in a very
> short time ).
There is some evidence that Vibrio can be transmitted to
freshwater fish through the use of infected marine fish as food. I
doubt freezing would remove this problem. As far as I know this
has only occured in aquaculture through the use of trash fish, but
it's something to be aware of.
In general though the use of marine fish as a protein source for
freshwater is to be preferred for avoidance of disease transmission.
Don't believe anyone who tells you that the salt levels in marine fish
will harm freshwater fish fed on them. The specific gravity of blood
of fish from both environments is more or less the same.
Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE
01204 332200