Re: spawning triggers

Date sent:      	Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:40:18 -0400
From:           	"Matthew Diller" <mdiller@mail.lawnet.fordham.edu>
To:             	<apisto@majordomo.pobox.com>
Subject:        	Re: spawning triggers
Send reply to:  	apisto@majordomo.pobox.com

> I have a pair of stubborn A. Cacatoides that seem to thrive yet do not
> spawn.  I am looking for suggestions to get them started.  I have had them
> for about 10 weeks.
Do you know how old the fish are? I've occasionally seen old,large
fish sold which the buyer will be lucky to get one brood from before
the inevitable happens. This happens in particular with cacatuoides
as they seem to be one of the shortest lived Apistos. The fish can
look fine, but I wonder if a female which has bred frequently in the
past could have so depleted it's oocytes that it will never breed no
matter how well it's cared for.
Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE