Re: "Salt grains" on wild rams.

Bailin,

I don't know if they are the same, but I have seen similar large white "pimples"
on fish - mostly pond raised livebearers. They are less like angular salt grain
than smooth dome shaped pimples. They encapsulate a small worm. These worms do
not kill the fish unless there are many, many of them. These worms usually
require 1 or 2 other hosts to complete their life cycle so it is next to
impossible for them to infect other fish in the tank. I remove these worms by
using a sterile needle to open the pimple and remove the worm. This is done while
the fish is covered in a wet cloth. After removing the worm I disinfect the wound
with a little alcohol and return the fish to the tank.

Mike Wise