Re: jewel cichlds

Simon,

The original "forest jewel" was Hemichromis bimaculatus II, now recognized as H.
lifalili. Other jewels are also called forest jewels: Dwarf Forest Jewel = H.
cristatus; Pink, Lemon, or Salmon Forest Jewel = H. paynei. Dr. P. V. Loiselle
published an excellent review of the jewels in the ACA's Buntbarsche Bulletin:
Loiselle, P.V. 1992. An Annotated Key to the Genus Hemichromis Peters 1858.
Buntbarsche Bulletin 148, p2-18. Paul originally erected the genus Hemichromis
and described many of the species, so you can't get a better authority on them.
See if you can find it out there.

Mike Wise