Re: RO against Seradest (+ anybody from Belgium ?)

Well, this seems like a good time to test *my* connection...

From: Szalies Jean-Marc
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 2:48 AM

> (I use seradest water to dilute my tap water, rams were
> acclimated with my very hard tapped water (hardness
> about 20) for one week, then I diluted it to a hardness
> of ±12 and added peat filtration. Then one week after, I
> diluted again to a hardness of 7. This last move, they
> dislike and ±40% of them died (those are german rams,
> not the shitty far-east quality)).
> Anybody got an idea ?...

Two questions:

1. How quickly are these concentration shifts taking place? I realize this
is most likely _not_ the case, but your posting leaves the impression that
it's rather quick.

2. What's happening in your tank as far as _alkalinity and pH_ ? Again, your
letter implies that your focus seems more on hardness. If you're making
40-50% reductions in general hardness you're also affecting the KH,
obviously, but its effects aren't quite as linear as hardness. Plus, peat
filtration is considerably more active against KH than GH, so there could be
a lot more going on than simply softening the water...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10@mindspring.com

PS -

David Sanchez:  If you're back on the list now, I'd really appreciate it if
you'd contact me off-list.
Saves posting a separate request...