RE: TDS & pH Meters

No one answered so I will venture a answer.

First off, I would look for a article in the upcoming Journal of the American
Killifish Association by Wright Huntly entitled something like "Water
Chemistry for Dummies" or some such.

There really is no "relationship between hardness and TDS".  TDS is a measure
of devolved solids in the water.  It is similar, but not the same as
conductivity and is based on a conductivity measurement.  If anyone reading
knows the difference please chime in.

That having been said we take up the subject of hardness.  Old school aquarium
books talk about GH and KH.  GH is a measure of divalent cations (mainly MG++
and CA++) and KH is a measure of Carbonate concentration.  Now both these
things contribute to "hardness" and can effect the TDS reading.  Where things
get confusing is that the reverse is NOT true.  Something can have a high
TDS and a low GH and KH, for example a solution of NaCl or FeCl.  So it is best
to talk about TDS for a given hardness.

IMHO, TDS meters have one use.  They tell me if the water the fish is in and
the water I want to put him in have the same osmotic state.  It is really the
osmotic state that effects transfer of the fish and this is pretty well
indicated by TDS.  In fact, again IMHO, I think that given similar TDS, changes
in pH do not really effect fish unless super drastic such as 6.5 > 8.0.

So I use a TDS meter when I want to move fish.  When I want to know what the GH
or KH is, I measure it using one of the liquid drop test kits.

All comments welcome.  Fish keepers love to talk about water!

john

E-Mail: listhub@libros.andante.mn.org
Date: 13-Oct-00
Time: 16:21:27