anecdote

I had a weird scene in my newish 77 gallon over the past few weeks. I had a group of four C
punctulata, with the large male at about 10cm, and the females at 6-7cm, in with a group of
odd looking cactuoides types I'm growing out. In went a little blue tetra that I still
haven't conclusively identified, They were between 1-2 cm.
Yup. The big male crenicara began to eat them. Then the much smaller cacatuoides liked the
idea. I lost 9 tetras in 2 days, as I was slow on the uptake. The giveaway was the male
crenicara plus two male cacatuoides all swimming by with half-tetras protruding form their
mouths...
After removal of the crenicara to their own tank, the cacas now ignore the tetras - even
smaller, slower specimens than the ones they caught. There have been no losses in my once
large tetras school in the week since I moved my rowdies.
So, I can report some kind of feeding frenzy behavior in Apistos...
-Gary