Re: Belated hello

Hi Mike,

Thank you for sending me the scan.  It is very considerate of you to attach
the cover of the book.  My mother will appreciate it very much when she has
to look for it in the huge bookstore in Osaka, Japan.

I do not know how much help the information in the A. Tamara section of the
book is going to provide.  The author does not sound very certain.  As far
as the A. Jurua Emerald is concerned, the book says that the first shipment
of A. Jurua Emerald into Japan came from Rio Jurua.  Anyway, here is the
translation of the sections on A. sp. "Jurua Emerald" and A. sp. "Tamara".

By the way, I have succeeded in getting my Outlook Express to hand shake
with Japanese list server software used for their apistogramma mailing list.
I could ask if any of the list member has additional information on these
fish from another source, if you wish.

Tomoko

Apistogramma sp. "Jurua Emerald"

This species was collected from Rio Jurua in the upper part of the Amazon
river system.  It was released for the first time in 1997 by a German
shipper, Menbonn (spelling?) Aquarium.  The body radiates with emerald green
color as the name indicates.  The red color spreading from the head to body
resembles the coloration of A. piauiensis.  The top and bottom part of the
caudal fin is slightly elongated and tinged with orange.

Its habitat is blackwater swamp and the first collecting effort yielded only
a small number of fish.  The first group of fish that arrived in Japan was
offspring from the first collection bred in Germany .  Since then, wild
collected fish have been imported, although small in numbers.  The initial
group of fish tended to be rather fussy about the water quality, although
this may be due to the condition of the fish at the time of arrival.  Soft
water with pH around 5 is recommended to keep these fish.

Apistogramma sp. "Tamara"

This is a species of Apistogramma believed to inhabit the waters in the area
called Tamara in Columbia.  In 1997 a small number of this fish arrived in a
shipment from Belgium.  This group of fish seemed to have been bred in
Europe and did not appear to be wild-caught specimens.  It may be due to
this reason that an individual with an imperfection in scales was seen
amongst the group of the fish imported together.

Judging from the shape of its body and the area of distribution, it does not
seem to be a mistake to assume that they belong to the Macmasteri group.
However, the color of fhis fish appears to be rather subdued considering
many of the species in the group have distinct coloration.

It is not a particularly difficult fish to keep.  Just like the others in
the Macmasteri group, they seem to prefer relatively harder water with
somewhat lower pH.  They tend to get sick if the pH is high.  They appear
nervous but it would be possible to breed them if the pair is nurtured in
good condition.