Re: female aspect

OK, Yvan, here's a little information on female apistos. Much of this can be
found in books of dwarfs. I always encourage people to read as much as they can
find. Most of the apistos that show a lot of sexual dimorphism have males that
are highly polygamous. Increased body size, fins, & colors help them attract a
greater number of females into the harem.  Females only compete with other
females of the same species for territory. Females don't need these features. On
the contrary, they are better able to protect their spawns and fry by being less
conspicuous (smaller and less colorful).  You might think that the bright yellow
colors of a brooding female would stand out, but in photos of brooding females
in the wild that I've seen they are not as conspicuous as you would think.
Anyway the best "cryptic" form seems to be a small fish with low fins and no
metallic colors. I assume that females with too much color were more easily
preyed upon and didn't survive to reproduce these features (which can be seen in
some domestic strains). Therefore nearly all successful females show these
feature and look similar. The sand dwelling species have similar looking sexes,
as do many of what I believe are the most recently evolved species. I think that
I see a trend in apistos from more ornate males to more cryptic forms.

Although most females are similar, females can easily be sorted into
species-groups. Ingo Koslowski described the differences in his article
"Beiträge zur Unterscheidung von Apistogramma-Weibchen" [Contributions on
differentiating Apistogramma females], Festschrift zum 25Jährigen Jubiläum der
DCG, p. 204-217. I would never mix females of the same species-group. There is
too much chance of getting hybrids. This is why I always recommend, when
necessary, keeping a slender apisto with a deeper bodied form. In this way there
is virtually no chance of hybridization (they will be from 2 different
species-groups) and the young can be more easily identified. Hope this helps.

Mike Wise