Re: basic care of Papiliochromis Ramerizi

Chris,

I have no positive way to sex the Bolivian Ram (M. altispinosus) at the size
they are sold commercially. Extensions on the caudal and dorsal fins can be
unreliable. Once they are fully grown, about 1 year old, the males have a
slightly more slender appearance. The belly profile is more straight. The
Orinoco Ram (M. ramirezi) can't be positively sexed by the extensions of the
dorsal and caudal fin rays either. The best way to sex them is to look at the
black blotch on the flanks of the fish. On males this blotch is stretched
vertically and has only a few blue scales along the outer margins. On females
this blotch is more rounded and has many more blue scales showing throughout the
blotch.

Mike Wise