Re: Apisto ID

Simon Voorwinde wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> If this female is showing male characteristics and I introduce a male will;
>
> - the male react aggressively towards it?

He will recognize it as an older female and act toward her like any other
female. If she is interested in spawning then he will accommodate her in his
territory. If she has no interest in breeding, he will probably drive her out of
his territory.

> - it revert back to female colouration?

If it is still producing eggs & wants to spawn, it probably will. Even males of
the macmasteri-group will take on the yellow & black pattern of the female when
leading fry, which doesn't seem too unusual for them. The yellow isn't as
brilliant, however.

> - she be able to breed still?

It's possible.

> I have heard of gender transformations in
> Apistogramma and Dicrossus - is this the start?

Probably not. Just like many older animals, she is just looking more masculine,
but probably isn't growing testes.

> I was under the impression this didn't happen unless there was a few
> individuals al of the same gender though.

I know of only one proven gender transformation in apistos. It was a female A.
sp. Wangenflecken who laid eggs and produced offspring as part of a pair by
themselves. This fish then took on masculine form and was paired with another
female who had laid eggs and produced offspring. This pairing also produced
offspring. I guess all you would need is 2 females.

> Are hongsloi harem spawners - would it better if I got a few more females
> too?

All macmasteri-Group males are opportunistically harem breeders, but also do
equally as well in pairs as long as there are sufficient hiding places.
Macmasteri-group males commonly take interest in brooding newly freeswimming
fry, but aren't the best at protecting them from other fish - or their own
appetites.

Mike Wise